Friday, May 25, 2012

Decodables for Unit One


Tired of using all your allotted paper supplies to run the decodable readers for your students to use as your read through each unit?
My team is! So we came up with the idea of typing out the decodable readers and putting them on the back of the decodable posters someone designed in our district (oh-so many years ago-). 

The idea is to put copy the decodable posters on one side of the page and the decodable stories on the other side. 


Then use the decodable reading booklets that have stories bundled in units during small group time.

Our students have 1” binders that house the school agenda book. We’ll add these new pages to a page protector in the binder so they can take them home to read and manipulate with a visa marker as they work with the words. No more-I forgot my book to read- (probably won’t stop -I didn’t have time to read last night) but will come in handy for word work stations and the like!

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you think it will be useful...I'm still thinking about doing units 2-5 over the summer, but wanted to get Unit 1 started while the idea was fresh in our minds :)

      Delete
  2. Great idea!! I just found your blog. I am a new follower! Looking forward to reading more!

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the word list last year (for unit 1, that is all I found). I can't wait to download the whole set! We have bi-weekly reading times with 4th graders, and these sheets would be perfect to have my kids read to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great revamp of the original materials. Thanks for this great update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi,

    I'm a kindergarten teacher in TN. What a fantastic idea! Do you know of a "Kindergarten Teachers in TN" blog? Also, I was wondering if the kindergarten team in your school will be making these decodable posters? If so, I would LOVE a copy of the kindergarten set (if they're willing to share). Thanks so much!

    mmcbride@dyercs.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I am a first grade teacher in Indiana, and I found this link of Pinterest! :) Thanks for creating! I will be checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Thank you for all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please tell me you've made these for the other units! Love, Love, Love these! What a BLESSING!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are perfect and just what I have been looking for! I found you from Heidi at Swamp Frog First Graders. Did you create the other units yet? I'm now going to have to stalk, I mean follow your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, so I do not use this reading series but I love these decodable readers. Such a great easy way to practice those skills. Thanks so much. I also found you from Heidi @ Swamp Frog First Graders.

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader...

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you make the other units? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I found unit 2 :) any more? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe all five units are on this site. Just search for decodables and they should all show up :)

      Delete
    2. Hi, I can't find the unit 2 pdfs for the books. Would it be possible to get a link to them?

      Delete
  13. Our school is going to start using the 2013 series and there are some changes in the spelling words. Is there anyway to change them for the 2013 series? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not the originator of the decodables....sorry...all I have are the pdfs.

      Delete
  14. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! Thank you so much for posting this! We don't get these copied, because we don't use them for every child. This exactly what I needed for my low readers. Did you do the rest of the units?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...